History Of the Guyana Police Force
The Guyana Police Force was established on July 01, 1839. The Force is headed by a Commissioner of Police and is divided into twelve(12) Region and a number of branches spanning Guyana. They are: Regional Division #1 Barima/Waini, Regional Division #2 Pomeroon-Supenaam, Regional Division #3 Essequibo Islands-West Demerara, Regional Division #4(a) Brickdam, Georgetown, Regional Division #4(b) Grove/Diamond, East Bank Demerara, Regional Division #4(c) Cove & John, East Coast Demerara, Regional Division #5 Mahaica-Berbice, Regional Division #6 East Berbice-Corentyne, Regional Division #7 Cuyuni-Mazaruni, Regional Division #8 Potaro-Siparuni, Regional Division #9 Upper Takutu-Upper Essequibo, Regional Division #10 Upper Demerara-Berbice
The branches include The Public Relations Office, the Criminal Investigation Department, The Mounted Branch, the Central Immigration and Passport Office, The Police Band, General Office, Finance Office, Traffic, Special Branch, and the canine unit. Each division and branch is commanded by a divisional or branch commander who reports to the Commissioner of Police.
The objectives of the Force are outlined in Section 3(2) of the Police Act, Chapter 16:01, and are as follows:
• The preservation of law and order;
• The preservation of peace;
• The repression of internal disturbances;
• The protection of property;
• The apprehension of offenders;
• The due enforcement of all laws and regulations which it is directly charged; and
• It shall perform Military duties within Guyana as may be required of it by or under the authority of the Minister.
• The prevention and detection of crime;
The Guyana Police Force is currently undergoing a modernization and reform process in keeping with its strategic plan 2013-2017 under the citizen security program. The strategic plan can be found under the “About Us” tab on the forces’ website.
Click The link to see the former commissioner of police click here…..