Cybersecurity Awareness Month – observed every October – was created as a collaborative effort between government and industry to ensure everyone has the resources they need to stay safer and more secure online.
The month of October is cybersecurity awareness month
As technology advance and more people rely on the internet to store sensitive information such as banking or credit card information, criminals increasingly attempt to steal that information. Cybercrime is becoming more of a threat to people across the world. Raising awareness about how information is being protected and the tactics criminals use to steal that information continues to grow in importance
Remember cybercrime is evolving and hackers are becoming more creative especially in this pandemic. Avoid going to unknown sites, clicking on unknown links. Start protecting your data and avoid sharing it.
Types of Cybercrime
- Cyber terrorism
- Cyber Extortion
- Social Engineering
- Identity Theif
- Internet fraud
- ATM fraud
- Wire fraud
- Counterfeiting and forgery
- Child pornography
- Computer viruses
- Denial of service attacks
- Spam, steganography, and email hacking
- File sharing and piracy
- illegal access to a computer system
- summary conviction 3 million dollars and 3 years imprisonment
- on indictment 5 million and 5 years imprisonment
- illegal interception
- summary 5 million dollars and 3 years imprisonment
- On indictment 8 million dollars and 5 years imprisonment
- Child pornography
- summary conviction 10 million dollars & 5 years imprisonment
- On indictment 15 million dollars and 10 years imprisonment.
- Avoid opening e-email and e-mail attachments from senders you do recognize or trust.
- Get anti-virus and security software and make sure it’s update .
- Keep away from external drives as much as possible.
4.Run Reggular Updates on your PC
- Learn more about how your PC functions and how to take care of it.
- NEVER give our personal info address, phone number , e-mail address, passwords, screen names (these should be gender -neutral free of identity information.
- Make user of all security features when online
- If you have never signed up for a lottery you cannot win so be careful of lottery scams .